At a Glance
|Strategic Outcomes||SO1, SO2, SO3|
|Start Date||Q1 Jan 1 2017|
|End Date||q1 Dec 31 2019|
|Actual Budget (USD)||104,669|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||104,327|
|GGGI Share (USD)||104,669|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers||poverty, gender|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||Department of Energy. Ministry of Climate Change. Department of Strategic Policy Planning and Aid Coordination, Department of Finance and Treasury, Department of Local Authorities, State Law office, Department of Tourism. Department of Water Resources|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)|
|Name of consortium members, if any|
Project context, objectives and description
This project focuses on the establishment of the National Green Energy Fund, a national financing vehicle, which aims to mobilize local and international resources to finance energy access, renewable energy and energy efficient investments, thereby enabling rural off-grid households access to better income and revenue generating activities, leading to improved livelihood. The project also looks to develop bankable green energy proposals and secure funding for implementation. A component of the project looks at capacity building of local counterpart institutions, including in support of the NGEF and development of guidelines and training for sustainable energy in the tourism sector.. Other components of the project look at policy/strategy development to create an enabling environment for green energy investments, including through but not limited to the NGEF.
The project objective is to mobilize local and international funding resources for energy access and green energy projects through establishment of the National Green Energy Fund (NGEF) and through the design of bankable projects. It also focuses on enhancing institutional capacity building of the NGEF, Department of Energy, and other counterpart agencies with NGEF connections and creating an enabling policy environment. This project is aligned with IO2. Increased green growth investment flows which enable partner governments to implement green growth policies and IO3. Improved multi-directional knowledge sharing and learning to empower local and external agents necessary to drive green growth processes in partner governments.
Type of services provided, and results achieved
Impact: Improved access to energy for households and businesses in rural and peri-urban areas resulting in improved livelihoods, job creation and greater opportunities for income generation through implementation of renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Increased financing for energy access and green energy projects mobilized through establishment of a National Green Energy Fund (NGEF) and institutional capacity building.
- Increased financing for green energy projects mobilized through project proposal development.
- Increased knowledge and skills among government and local stakeholders to scale up green energy.
Project Outputs completed in 2019:
i. Green Growth Policies:
- Policy Assignments: Completed the development of the National Energy Road Map – Implementation Plan (NERM-IP) aligned with the Vanuatu NDC Road Map.
- 2 policies adopted: 1. National Energy Road Map Implementation Plan (NERM-IP) launched by the Minister of Climate Change 2. NGEF Operations Manual as completed in 2018, approved by the NGEF Board in 2019.
ii. Green Investments:
- Advisory outputs that aim to create enabling environment: The NERM-IP completed including the NERM-IP consultation workshop.
- Green investments catalyzed: Start-up operational grant received for the NGEF. Government provided funding of around USD 270K towards NGEF operations and pilot investments.
- Government approved for USD860,000 towards NGEF capitalization and for investments in green energy in November 2019.
- Enabling environment for green investtments: NGEF published its first annual report covering 2018 operations
iii. Capacity Building and Knowledge Products: N/A
Number of staff provided
Project Manager: Paul Kaun
Christopher Simelum, Katerina Syngellakis, Rosi Banuve, Yunae Nam
Project Reference Profiles – Ethiopia(ET5) Green growth governance – Ethiopia GCF readiness: ‘Building the project/program development, coordination and delivery capacity of the NIE and strengthening Ethiopia’s engagement with the GCF’
|Start Date||Q3 20190901|
|Actual Budget (USD)||62,063|
News • April 16, 2019
Supported by the UAE Ministry of Climate Change and Environment and the Global Green Growth Institute, Beyond the Pitch seeks to offer guidance and innovation opportunities to the next generation of UAE’s startup entrepreneurs who look to address themes aligned with the priorities of the UAE Ministry of Climate Change and Economy. Open to youth […]
Project Reference Profiles – Hungary(HU02) Hungary Bilateral Climate Financing scheme
|Start Date||Q1 Oct 1 2019|
|Actual Budget (USD)||32,315|
News • November 21, 2018
Training on Green Growth Performance Measurement (GGPM) sponsored by GGGI and World Bank in Vang Vieng, Laos PDR
Vang Vieng, Lao PDR, November 19-21 – The GGGI Lao PDR team in partnership with the National Institute for Economic Research (NIER) and the Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI) held a workshop on Green Growth Performance Measurement (GGPM) in Vang Vieng, Lao PDR today. This event included experts from GGGI and line ministries and key […]