At a Glance
|Start Date||Q1 Jan 2019|
|End Date||q1 Dec 2019|
|Actual Budget (USD)||359,701|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||345,917|
|GGGI Share (USD)||359,701|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||Ministry of Municipality and Environment (MME) & Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA)|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)|
|Name of consortium members, if any||Ministry of Municipality and Environment (MME) & Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoF)|
Project context, objectives and description
This is a 6 month’s effort with the objectives to engage with the State of Qatar and set-up a country program, with a view to scale-up the program through earmarked funding support by the State of Qatar. The scoping phase involved building the trust and network with important Qatari stakeholders and jointly initiating and delivering policy and capacity development activities related to Qatar’s next NDC update, development of a green growth strategy, and development of a national MRV system. Based on the network expanded with Qatari stakeholders, the project aims to also develop a 3-years Work Program and work towards an MoU and HCA to support scaling up of the program.
The project aligns with IO1. strengthened national, sub-national and local green growth planning, financing and institutional frameworks; IO2. increased green growth investment flows which enable partner governments to implement green growth policies and IO3. improved multi-directional knowledge sharing and learning to empower local and external agents necessary to drive green growth processes in partner governments.
Type of services provided, and results achieved
Impact: Climate resilience and green growth advanced in Qatar to support achievement of Qatar National Vision 2030.
Project Outputs completed in 2019:
- GGGI Qatar program was set-up from scratch with only 1 core staff delivering the activities through frequent travel due to lack of HCA and long-term visa. HCA and MoU draft finalized and approved by State of Qatar (SoQ) counterpart ministries, and a detailed 3-year Work Program with 7 work packages jointly developed
Several iterations of the HCA have gone through GGGI and SoQ processes and the draft has been finalized with MoFA Qatar.
The MoU/earmarked funding agreement has gone through several iteration and negotiation across GGGI and the State of Qatar (represented by the Ministry of Municipality and Environment (MME)). It includes a $7.5 mil. 3-year earmarked funding agreement. Both HCA and MoU are delayed in the official processes within the SoQ and now expected by summer of 2020.
- Qatar national MRV system development – stock-taking and scoping assessment for MRV development completed: A 3-year work plan to scope and develop Qatar’s national MRV system for greenhouse gas and adaptation tracking was developed with the State of Qatar. A detailed assessment was completed to outline the scope of a Qatar national MRV system with a technical, legal and institutional setup and with a focus on greenhouse gas inventory. Delivered a full-day capacity development and stakeholder consultation workshop where more than 25 key ministries, private sector entities, academia etc. participated.
- State of Qatar’s capacity for the next NDC submission enhanced with following outputs: Developed stakeholders’ map and the first draft of Qatar’s existing climate actions (unpublished). Delivered a 2-day climate diplomacy capacity development workshop to train Qatari ministry officials on next NDC preparation and technical aspects related to climate negotiations.
- Qatar Green Growth Strategy development initiated with following outputs: a multi-year work plan for Qatar Green Growth Strategy Development was developed with the government counterpart. A Green Growth Potential Assessment (GGPA) of Qatar was conducted along with a stakeholder consultation workshop in Doha. A GGPA analysis and workshop report prepared.
i. Green Growth Policies:
- Total of 2 policy assignments to inform green growth strategy development, NDC revision and MRV development (GGPA analysis and consultation and national MRV development roadmap report and consultation)
ii. Green Investments:N/A
iii. Capacity Building and Knowledge Products:
- Total of 3 capacity building activities in the form of consultations and workshops.
1) Organised with the State of Qatar a ‘Capacity Development and Stakeholder Consultation Workshop on Qatar National MRV System Development’, on 4 Sep 2019 in Doha, Qatar.
2) Organised with the State of Qatar an NDC implementation and climate diplomacy training to the technical team supporting Qatar’s NDC development and UNFCCC climate negotiation, titled ‘Paris Agreement and Qatar’s NDC Implementation’ on 22 and 23 May 2019 in Doha.
3) Organised with the State of Qatar a ‘Green Growth Potential Assessment (GGPA) of Qatar Consultation Workshop’ on 30 April 2019 in Doha, Qatar.
- Total of 2 knowledge products in the forms of i.) Green Growth Potential Assessment of Qatar Analysis and Workshop report and ii.) Scope of National MRV System with a Focus on Greenhouse Inventory MRV for Qatar.
1) Green Growth Potential Assessment of Qatar Analysis and Workshop report, Global Green Growth Institute: Seoul. (submitted to the government counterpart in May 2019).
2) Scope of National MRV System with a Focus on Greenhouse Inventory MRV for Qatar, Global Green Growth Institute: Seoul. (submitted to the government counterpart in September 2019).
Number of staff provided
Project Manager: Pranab Jyoti Baruah
Pranab Jyoti Baruah
News • February 7, 2018
Strategic Planning Workshop held to operationalize the People’s Survival Fund and help address local vulnerabilities
On February 7, GGGI and Philippines’ Climate Change Commission co-organized a strategic planning workshop to strengthen and plan the 2018 activities for the operationalization of the People’s Survival Fund, a special fund in the Philippine National Treasury that finances climate change adaptation programs and projects. In the strategic planning workshop, the Technical Evaluation Systems and Services of […]
News • November 18, 2018
November 18, Budapest, Hungary – An Agreement to host a Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) Office in Budapest, Hungary was concluded on October 31, 2018 in Seoul, Republic of Korea. On October 31, GGGI convened the Seventh Session of its Assembly and Eleventh Session of its Council. The joint session was chaired by GGGI’s President […]
News • December 15, 2014
The fortnight it took for UN climate talks to finally stagger to an end in Lima on Sunday morning has shaken many assumptions about what it will take to achieve the historic global climate deal due to be sealed in Paris next December. “If so much blood flows negotiating the prenuptial, what does that mean […]
News • November 12, 2018
November 12, Suva, Fiji – The Pacific Islands Transport Forum and Expo was hosted this week by the Government of Fiji in conjunction with the Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) and the University of the South Pacific in Suva, Fjji. The three-day event drew over one hundred participants representing the private sector, governments, and other […]