At a Glance
|Strategic Outcomes||SO1 Reduced GHG emission, SO6 Enhanced adaptation to climate change|
|Start Date||Q1 Oct 1 2018|
|End Date||q1 Sept 30 2019|
|Actual Budget (USD)||112,830|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||99,458|
|GGGI Share (USD)||112830|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||Climate Change and Development Authority (CCDA)|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)||KOICA|
|Name of consortium members, if any|
GGGI Project Code : PG03
Project context, objectives and description
The project was designed to support (“top-up”) the GCF Readiness Project in PNG (PG1-2000-1) with KOICA providing funding. Therefore, the project has very similar impact, outcome, and outputs to the GCF Readiness Project, but at a smaller-scale supporting some specific activities. The project mainly supported capacity building and strengthening of information for climate change project development stakeholders.
A key challenge to accessing climate finance is the lack of information available and knowledge of the stakeholders in PNG, including government, local government, private sector and NGOs/CSOs, on how to develop a good climate change project and access climate finance, including from GCF.
The project objective is to increase PNG’s access to GCF by i.) Enhancing the capacity of CCDA, Provincial Climate Change Committees (PCCCs) in 4 regions, and key stakeholders on climate change project identification and development ii.) Developing a Climate Change Project Identification and Development Manual, which is a tool for the CCDA and project developers to identify, design, develop and submit climate change projects, with a focus on GCF. This project is aligned with IO3. Improved multi-directional knowledge sharing and learning to empower local and external agents necessary to drive green growth processes in partner governments.
Type of services provided, and results achieved
Impact: Climate financing mobilized.
- PNG’s access to GCF was strengthened by strengthening the functions and knowledge of the NDA and increasing stakeholders’ awareness and understanding of the GCF. Therefore, increased their ability to develop projects to access climate finance.
Project Outputs completed in 2019:
i. Green Growth Policies:N/A
ii. Green Investments:N/A
iii. Capacity Building and Knowledge Products:
- 1 Report on CCDA Capacity Needs Assessment Towards GCF Requirements and Private Sector Assessment to Develop Climate Change Projects was developed
- 4 Climate Finance and GCF Capacity building activities carried out for CCDA, PCCC and provincial stakeholders in the form of four regional workshops covering the 22 Provinces of PNG
- 1 knowledge products produced – A video documentary raising awareness on climate change in PNG and sharing information on the capacity building activities undertaken.
- 1 Operational Manual (Guidebook) on identification and development of climate change projects with a focus on GCF was developed for CCDA and other stakeholders
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|