At a Glance
|Start Date||Q1 Jan 1 2019|
|End Date||q1 Dec 31 2019|
|Actual Budget (USD)||89,682|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||90,727|
|GGGI Share (USD)||89,682|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers||gender|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)|
|Name of consortium members, if any||Ministry of Environment and Tourism|
Project context, objectives and description
The Government of Mongolia has officially commenced its NDC update and elaboration process to update its intended NDC target of 14% into a more ambitious target, with a hope to mobilize increased green financial resources from Green Climate Fund (GCF) and other climate related funds.
This project is particularly important for GGGI Mongolia in order to lock-in our involvement in NDC and Paris Agreement related activities in Mongolia, which will enable us to take part in the NDC related bankable project identification and be included as one of the technical country partners in GCF Country Programming.
Objective of the project is to support Government of Mongolia to update its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) in the Agriculture and Industrial Processes and Product Use (IPPU) Sectors and provide technical support for its elaboration mechanism for official submission in 2020 in accordance with Paris Agreement on Climate Change and United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
GGGI will be responsible for developing and supporting NDC update and elaboration processes for Agriculture and IPPU sectors (transport and building sectors can be added if there are additional resources), with technical backstopping provided by GIZ and NCI as part of their existing project. Agreement has been reached among the GGGI Mongolia, GGGI HQ (MRV Team), Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) and GIZ & NCI for regular and on-demand technical backstopping with free of charge and other cost sharing arrangements such as joint workshops and combined events.
This project is aligned with IO1. Strengthened national, sub-national and local green growth planning, financing and institutional frameworks.
Type of services provided, and results achieved
Impact: Updated NDC document includes GHG emissions reduction targets for the Agriculture and IPPU sectors.
- Effective decarbonization pathways identified and endorsed by relevant stakeholders for the Agriculture and Industrial Processes and Product Use (IPPU) sectors.
Project Outputs completed in 2019:
i. Green Growth Policies:
- Transparent GHG emission pathway was developed using PROSPECTS+ Model and integrated into the NDC Document.
- Sectoral Chapters of NDC Document developed.
- Revised NDC of Mongolia adopted by the Government Cabinet.
ii. Green Investments:
- Advisory outputs that aim to create enabling environment: The revised NDC of Mongolia provides a list of necessary climate related investments both in mitigation and adaptation, to be made for the country to reach its proposed revised emissions targets.
iii. Capacity Building and Knowledge Products:
- Total of 4 capacity building activities in the form of workshops, 1st and 2nd sectoral consultation on Mongolia’s revised NDC in the Agriculture sector, 2 Stakeholder consultation meeting (INDC of Mongolia), Industry Secto
Number of staff provided
Project Manager: Tsolmon Namkhainyam/Romain Brillie
Bayarmaa Enkhbayar, Oyunchimeg Amartuvshin, Siddhartha Nauduri, Romain Brillie, Green Cities Officer, Yoo Lim Jeon
News • April 6, 2018
National Launching Workshop of the extension phase of the Green Secondary Cities Development Program held in Senegal
April 6, 2018 – Dakar, Senegal – Following the formulation of the guidelines for green secondary cities development approved by the Government of Senegal (GoS) in 2016, GGGI has been supporting the roadmap for their implementation in three pilot cities in 2017, which are Tivaouane, Kolda and the Urban Pole of Diamniadio new City. The […]