At a Glance
|Start Date||Q1 Jan 2019|
|End Date||q1 Dec 2019|
|Actual Budget (USD)||165,773|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||120,269|
|GGGI Share (USD)||165,773|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers||poverty, gender|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||Relevant governments|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)||AfDB|
|Name of consortium members, if any|
GGGI Project Code :
Project Manager and Staff +
Project context, objectives and description
Objective is to enhance GGGI’s thought leadership profile by developing new frameworks and methodologies for green growth readiness and development impact assessment, and conducting necessary knowledge sharing and capacity development activities to mainstream the frameworks in corporate and country activities for NDC and SDG implementation. The work involved a joint work with the AfDB on development of frameworks and assessment of green growth readiness assessment in Africa, as well as business development for climate resilience projects in GGGI countries. The project scope is multidisciplinary and covers areas to promote poverty reduction and gender equality through green growth
Type of services provided, and results achieved
Impact: Green growth advanced and mainstreamed in GGGI’s and member countries’ activities through comprehensive frameworks and methodologies, and through resource mobilization for in-country projects.
Outcome: Knowledge development, sharing, and thought leadership around green growth readiness and development impact assessment for mainstreaming green growth, and resource mobilization for green growth implementation.
Project Outputs completed in 2019:
i. Green Growth Policies:N/A
ii. Green Investments:
- Established network and submitted first set of 20+ climate resilience project ideas in GGGI member SIDS and LDCs to Qatar Fund for Development.
iii. Capacity Building and Knowledge Products: N/A
* NDC mainstreaming support: Supported capacity development and knowledge transfer to develop a top-notch MRV system for Qatar.
* GGGI Strategic Outcomes and Strategy 2030: Produced a comprehensive guideline to articulate and estimate GGGI’s development impacts from its activities at country level. Contributed to articulation and development of GGGI’s long-term development goals laid out in Strategy 2030. Produced the first GGGI-produced green employment assessment for a member country, thereby developing GGGI’s capacity in this area.
* Green growth readiness: Developed a comprehensive green growth readiness assessment framework for NDC and SDGs implementation. The project is GGGI’s first joint effort with AfDB that led to an MoU. The recommendations resulting from in-depth analysis of 7 African countries will help better programming of activities at country level to scale up green growth – the engagement with AfDB also led to a new joint project on Africa Green growth Index. Strengthened the relationship with the Government of Japan through engagement in TICAD7.
- A total of 6 capacity development activities consisting of consultations, study tour, briefing sessions, side events, and mentorship.
1) Organised with AfDB and presented in an official side-event on green growth readiness and green growth index at TICAD7 Yokohama, on 27 August 2019.
2) Conducted a consultation and capacity development session on GGGI Strategic Outcomes at 2019 GGGI Annual Meeting, on 18 March 2019
3) Organised a study tour for officials of Qatar Ministry of Municipality and Environment to the Korean Ministry of Environment to learn about South Korean MRV and Emissions Trading System, on October 25, 2019
4) Helped organise three (3) Qatar Pavilion side-events at Cop 25 Madrid by securing five eminent speakers and helping prepare presentation materials to deliver Japanese, European, African, and GGGI countries’ green growth experience on 6, 11 and 14 December 2019.
5) Organised bespoke briefing sessions with presentations to Qatar Fund for Development officials on GGGI’s green investment approach and pipeline, as well as policy and strategy works on 21 November and 5 December 2019.
6) In addition, contributed to the following 2 events that are expected to enhance understanding and influence country stakeholders:
– two (2) side-events as presenter/panelist at CoP25 Madrid on 7 and 11 Dec 2019, on areas of off-grid renewable energy and development impact assessment.
– plenary presenter/panelist at QEERI International Conference on Sustainable Energy-Water-Environment Nexus in Desert Climate at Doha, Qatar on 5 December 2019.
- A total of six knowledge products were produced or directly contributed to:
1) Baruah, P., Al-Hamndou et al. (completed, to be launched in 2020). Africa Green Growth Readiness Assessment, African Development Bank group: Abidjan and Global Green Growth Institute: Seoul.
2) Baruah, P., Rijsberman, F., and Avila, D.Q. (2019). GGGI Strategic Outcomes Guideline: Frameworks and Methodologies for Development Impact Estimation (Version 1.0), Global Green Growth Institute: Seoul, Dec 2019. ISBN: 9781647869793
3) Fiji green jobs assessment (2019), Global Green Growth Institute: Seoul, 83 pp, July 2019. (PM and supervisor)
4) Rijsberman, F., Anastasia, O., Baruah, P., Grafakos, S., Kang, J., and Senshaw, D. (2019). Green Growth to Achieve the Paris Agreement: G20 Osaka background Paper, Global Green Growth Institute: Seoul, Jan 2019.
5) Baruah, P., and Coleman, B. (2019). Off-grid solar power in Mozambique: opportunities for universal energy access and barriers to private sector participation, Global Green Growth Institute: Seoul, Jan 2019.
6) GGGI Strategy 2030 (chapter contribution)
Number of staff provided
Project Manager: Pranab Jyoti Baruah
Pranab Jyoti Baruah and Diana Quezada Avila