At a Glance
|Strategic Outcomes||SO1 Reduced GHG emission, SO2 Creation of green jobs, SO3 Increased access to sustainable services, SO6 Enhanced adaptation to climate change|
|Start Date||Q1 20170101|
|End Date||q4 20201231|
|Actual Budget (USD)||392,339|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||347,471.65|
|GGGI Share (USD)||392,339.15|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers||poverty|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||Fiji Ministry of Economy, Fiji Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport, Fiji Department of Energy, Fiji Transport Planning Unit|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)||Core funding|
|Name of consortium members, if any|
GGGI Project Code :
Project Manager and Staff +
Project context, objectives and description
Fiji’s energy sector is highly dependent on fossil fuels. Renewable energy share in total energy consumption is 20% (GoF, 2011) and fossil fuel imports account for 25-30% of all imports (SPC, 2011). Fiji has focused on cutting emissions from the energy sector in their NDC and while the focus is on electricity there is an increasing interest and need for low carbon development in the transport sector. Energy projects with secured financing for green energy access and renewable energy access are not sufficient to meet national renewable energy and energy access targets, particularly in the context of the aftermath of cyclone Winston which hit Fiji in 2016. New projects in the energy and transport sectors are needed to meet government targets, including project funded by climate finance and the private sector.
The project objective is to reduce dependence on fossil fuels and increase energy security, energy access, diversification of energy mix through renewables and implementation of energy efficiency. This project is aligned with IO1. Strengthened national, sub-national and local green growth planning, financing, and institutional frameworks, IO2. Increased green growth investment flows which enable partner governments to implement green growth policies and IO3. Improved multi-directional knowledge sharing and learning to empower local and external agents necessary to drive green growth processes in partner governments.
This project i.) Increases mobilization of both national and international resources for renewable energy and energy efficiency programmes through identification, design and preparation of bankable green energy projects and facilitation of an enabling environment for investment into the green energy sector, ii.) Increases awareness of options for green cities and cleaner transport and creates greater preparedness to implement green growth projects by providing analysis and studies to decision makers and iii.) Helps build institutional capacity and increases awareness of options for green growth at national and local level through capacity building workshops, in-house training sessions, project specific training and on-the-job training to Government staff, government agencies, NGOs and private sector.
Type of services provided, and results achieved
Impact: Reduced dependence on fossil fuels and increased energy security, energy access, diversification of energy mix through renewables, implementation of energy efficiency and contribution to implementation of Fiji’s NDC.
- Increased mobilization of both national and international resources for renewable energy and energy efficiency programmes through identification, design and preparation of bankable green energy projects and facilitation of an enabling environment for investment into the green energy sector.
- Increased awareness of options for green cities and cleaner transport and greater preparedness to implement green growth projects.
- Institutional capacity built-up and increased awareness of options for green growth at national and local level (building on green growth inputs to the NDP, Output A, WPB 2016/2016)
Project Outputs completed in 2019:
i. Green Growth Policies:
- Needs assessment and post implementation surveys with training manual completed to support the implementation of solar mini-grids through the Fiji Rural Electrification Fund.
- Market study for solar energy for off-grid hotels was completed and presented to the Fiji Development Bank, Department of Tourism and the Climate Change Division, as well as to the private sector (hotels, investors, solar supplier)
- A Green Jobs report was developed and finalized.
ii. Green Investments:
- Green investments catalyzed: 2 bankable projects for solar plants on two different islands were developed. Feasibility studies were completed in 2019 – one for 1MW solar PV utility project on Taveuni and one for 4 MW solar PV and 5MWH storage on Ovalau island. An LoI for the Ovalau solar project was signed with Envelops for 20M USD.
- Investment proposals: Financial instrument for loans for solar for off-grid hotels was developed and submitted to Fiji Development Bank. An LoI for 5M USD was signed in Fiji Development Bank.
iii. Capacity Building and Knowledge Products:
- 1 Capacity building activity in the form of training on Needs assessment and Post Implementation Survey solutions
- 1 Knowledge product: Green Jobs Report
- 1 Capacity Building activity in the form of training on solar energy to social housing maintenance staff and electricians.
Number of staff provided
Project Manager: Katerina Syngellakis
Rosi Banuve, Roxane Castelein, Ulaiasi Butukoro, Charlotte Chow
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|