At a Glance
|Strategic Outcomes||SO6 Enhanced adaptation to climate change|
|Start Date||Q3 20190901|
|End Date||q3 20210816|
|Actual Budget (USD)||827,203|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)|
|GGGI Share (USD)|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers||gender|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||Ministry of Finance (DAE/NIE); Environment, Forest and Climate Change Commission (NDA)|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)||Green Climate Fund (GCF)|
|Name of consortium members, if any|
Ethiopia’s Ministry of Finance (MOF) was accredited by the GCF board as direct access national entity in April 2016. Accreditation to the GCF represents an opportunity for MOF to continue developing a climate-resilient economy through the delivery of projects and programs by working with national and subnational actors. MOF has submitted its entity work program, which includes a list of pipeline projects that require readiness support from the GCF for further development. In the work program, relevant activities that meet conditions for accreditation upgrading are included. MOF would also like to further strengthen its operational capabilities in project management, environmental and social safeguards (ESS) and monitoring and evaluation work of the Climate Resilient Green Economy (CRGE) Facility.
The overall objective of the project is to build the project/program development, coordination and delivery capacity of the MoF (NIE/DAE), support the development of concept notes and proposals and strengthen Ethiopia’s engagement with GCF. This project is aligned with Intermediate Outcome (IO)2, Increased green growth investment flows which enable partner governments to implement green growth policies, and IO3, Improved multi-directional knowledge sharing and learning to empower local and external agents necessary to drive green growth processes in partner governments.
The following four outputs that are aimed at enhancing the accreditation level of the National Implementation Entity are finalized through the GCF-readiness support. The outputs also strengthen program implementation capacities further contributing for ongoing efforts of mobilizing resources for green growth investments.
- A guidance note that recommends measures for improved participation of key actors during annual review and updating of climate programming is developed. The recommendations are drawn on gaps of existing systems and tools which were identified through a review of the M&E System Manual and the CRGE operation manual. Consultations were also conducted with implementing units of MoF and EFCCC. The guidance note is to be used as a complementing document to the existing M&E manual.
- Stakeholder engagement and consultation (SEC) guideline was developed and communicated to the Ministry of Finance (MoF) and the National Designated Authority (NDA). The SEC is a comprehensive document that outlines a step-by-step procedure for the planning, implementation and evaluation of engagement and consultation of key stakeholders. The guideline was developed based on recommendations of GCF and other best local and international experiences.
- Gender mainstreaming strategy along with gender action plan has been developed based on an assessment of national gender framework and GCF gender policy. The strategy was enriched with the feedback of relevant stakeholders and shred to all CRGE implementing and executing entities.
- A policy brief on the alignment of national gender policies and action plans with GCF requirement was developed. Moreover, promotion materials that enhance awareness on GCF gender policy and action plan were prepared.
- Capacity building trainings on the following areas was delivered to CRGE Implementing Institutions:
– Gender and Social Inclusion with a Climate Change Perspective,
– Project Development, Result based management, Gender and safeguard,
* Preparing Concept notes,
* Climate Change, GCF and Fiduciary Standards,
* Result Based Monitoring and Evaluation.