At a Glance
|Strategic Outcomes||SO1 Reduced GHG emission, SO5 Supply of ecosystem services ensured|
|Start Date||Q4 23 November 2020|
|End Date||q2 23 May 2022|
|Actual Budget (USD)||377,822|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||101,793|
|GGGI Share (USD)||N/A|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers||poverty, gender|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||National Planning Department|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)||Green Climate Fund (GCF)|
|Name of consortium members, if any||N/A|
GGGI Project Code : CO07
Project Manager and Staff +
Project Context, Objectives and Description
The proposed Readiness aims to strengthen the capacity of the government to meet its AFOLU mitigation and adaptation targets by enabling its country’s largest provider of finance to the AFOLU sector to access GCF’s long-term affordable climate finance, allowing the country to raise its NDC ambitions.
More precisely, the proposed Readiness Programme supports the achievement of the following strategic targets:
- Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC): Colombia commits to reduce its GHG emissions by 51% by 2030 compared to business-as-usual scenario.
- National Development Plan (NDP) 2018-2022: Colombia commits to reducing deforestation rates by 30% by 2022 compared to BAU and enhancing GHG sink by expanding agroforestry, sustainable management of natural forests, silvopastoral systems, and other forms of productive land restoration by over 700,000 hectares.
- Strategy for the Control of Deforestation and Management of Forests (Estrategia Integral de Control a la Deforestación y Gestión de los Bosques, EICD-GB): Colombia commits to achieving zero-net deforestation by 2030 leading to 32.4 Mton of GHG avoided emissions.
- Green Growth Policy (CONPES 3934): Colombia commits to increasing the contribution of the forest economy to the country’s GDP from 0.8% in 2017 to 1.5% in 2030.
- Second National Communication (SNC) to the UNFCCC identifies (i) terrestrial ecosystems, (ii) farming/agriculture and (iii) forestry among the sectors most vulnerable to climate change.
- National Forest Development Plan (Plan Nacional de Desarrollo Forestal 2000-2025) which calls for an increased contribution of the forestry sector to the country’s economy.
The outcomes are the following:
- Direct access applicants and accredited entities (DAEs) have established capacity to meet and maintain the GCF’s accreditation standards; and accredited DAEs have the capacity to develop a pipeline of projects and effectively implement GCF-funded activities.
- GCF recipient countries have developed or enhanced strategic frameworks to address policy gaps, improve sectoral expertise, and enhance enabling environments for GCF programming in low-emission investment.
- An increase in the number of quality project concept notes developed and submitted.
Type of Services Provided, and Results Achieved
GGGI has chosen Colombia as a delivery partner for this GCF readiness project to provide DAE support on sustainable agriculture and landscape development. The project focuses on capacity building, strategic frameworks, and pipeline development. GGGI held a kick-off meeting with the NDA’s focal point within the DNP to discuss the overall project implementation plan and identify the Government recipients and uptake strategy for the National Financing Strategy for the Forestry sector.
GGGI has been advising Finagro, the DAE to be supported with this project, on setting up a data room, internal workplan and focal points to address all inquiries, comments and information gathering necessary to address the Gap Assessment on fiduciary standards, ESG and Gender policy to comply with GCF´s accreditation requirements. A Gap Assessment is underway and will deliver a critical route by the end of June. In the meantime, GGGI is already supporting the design of the ESG policy, Gender Policy and accreditation socialization and capacity building process internally.
Also, it made the advancement of structuring on the Strategy development roadmap, an internal working team with the SISCLIMA’s financial management committee. Moreover, a governmental and institutional arrangement was established with the DNP (NDA (Nationally Designated Authority)) and GGGI to define Strategy content and stakeholders.
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|