ADDIS ABABA – October 19, 2017 – The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) convened the Sixth Session of its Assembly and Tenth Session of its Council on October 19, 2017, in Addis Ababa, the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. The joint session was chaired by His Excellency Dr. Gemedo Dalle, Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, and attended by ministers and senior officials from the Institute’s twenty-seven member Countries, as well as observer countries and regional and intergovernmental organizations (including China, the European Union, Morocco, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Uganda, and the United Nations Environment Program).
The joint session of GGGI’s Assembly and the Council provides a platform to facilitate south-south-north learning and knowledge sharing among GGGI member countries in various areas related to green growth and the impact of GGGI in- country programs. Some of the key agenda items discussed at this year’s meeting included:
- High-level discussions on strategies for making cities greener, more climate resilient and inclusive, led by the Director-General’s Progress Report. The Report included an overview of the Institute’s performance over the past biennium, the evolution of service offerings and efforts to deliver more for less.
- A presentation on the Institute’s work on developing bankable projects, risk reduction instruments and national financing vehicles, focusing on results achieved to date, challenges faced, lessons learned and opportunities and risks going forward.
- A final draft of GGGI’s Refreshed Strategic Plan 2015-2020, which follows deliberations of the Mid-Term Review of the Strategic Plan. This agenda item included a presentation and discussion of the draft Resource Mobilization Action Plan, which will support the Institute to achieve resource mobilization targets outlined in the Refreshed Strategic Plan 2015-2020.
- A presentation of the changes in the Work Program and Budget and mechanism for considering projects. This agenda item invited Members of the Council to take note and provide comments on the alignment of new projects/activities being programmed with the Strategic Plan and Corporate Results Framework.
- Contributing Members Norway and the United Kingdom were elected to the Council for the 2018-2019 term.
The Assembly and Council Joint Session convened during the Global Green Growth Week 2017: Unlocking Africa’s Green Growth Potential (GGGWeek2017), on October 17-20, 2017, at the United Nations Conference Centre (UNCC) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which was co-hosted with the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. The annual GGGI organized event gathers Institute Members, public- and private-sector stakeholders, international organizations, and notable experts and non-state actors to strengthen and catalyze green growth in Africa and throughout the world.
The Fifth Session of the Assembly and Ninth Session of the Council was held in Jeju, Korea in October 2016.