Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, June 30, 2020 – The Government of Burkina Faso and the NDC-CAEP Implementation Partners, including GGGI, organized the Burkina Faso’s NDC Revision kick-off workshop. More than 50 participants from Ministries, NGOs, Private Sector, and the implementing partners attended the workshop. GGGI was represented by Malle Fofana (Country Representative), Lamine Ouedraogo (Senior Officer Green Growth Programing) and Ouretou Sidibe (Administration and Finance Assistant).
The workshop aimed to officially launch the country’s NDC revision process with the participation of the different stakeholders engaged on halting the adverse impacts of climate change. The purpose of the workshop was to (i) to present the NDC revision process to the involved actors; (ii) to share with participants the NDC revision methodological approaches; and (iii) to facilitate the overall activities implementation of the whole process.
The Chief of Staff of the Minister of Environment, Green Economy and Climate Change, Mr. Rasmané Ouédraogo, delivered the welcoming remarks to officially open the workshop. Dr. Augustin Kaboré, Permanent Secretary of the National Council for Sustainable Development, lead the technical session around the following points:
- The revision general process, presented by Mr. Do Etienne Traore, UNFCCC Focal Point,
- The revision overall methodology, presented by Athanase Kinda, NDC Partnership national facilitator,
- The revision key activities presented by the Implementing Partners.
Mr. Lamine Ouedraogo, Senior Officer made a presentation on GGGI’s interventions, focused on four activities:
- Develop sector-specific action plans with gender mainstreaming and involvement of NGOs and CSOs,
- Conduct consultation processes to initiate the identification of objectives, actors and their roles,
- Analyze by sector the costs and benefits of the actions selected to be included in the new NDC,
- Organize three stakeholder capacity building workshops (sectorial; NGO, CSO and private) on data collection, processing, and management methods,
The presentations were followed by a discussion session among participants and the session has been ended on the next steps and the four following recommendations:
- Focus on the quantitative dimension in the evaluation of the current NDC,
- Consider the results of the Third National Communication on Climate Change in the CND revision process,
- Demonstrate the contribution of the implementation of the National Climate Change Adaptation Plan in achieving the objectives of the current NDC,
- Implement the legal and institutional measures necessary for the success of the review process.