- Country: India
- Geographic Coverage: National, Sub-national
- Lead Local Agencies:
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE)
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA)
- Karnataka Renewable Energy Development Limited (KREDL)
- 2016 Focus
- Financing and Implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC)
- Knowledge Sharing and South-South Collaboration
- 2013-15 Projects:
- Green Growth Planning Strategies
- Mainstreaming and Implementation of Green Growth Strategies – Karnataka
- Urban Water Systems in India
- Urban Green Growth Strategies
GGGI has been working in India to promote green growth and sustainable development since 2013. GGGI has worked at national, state, and city levels to develop and implement green growth strategies that reconcile short-term priorities with long-term vision of higher economic growth, environmental sustainability, and social inclusion. At the state level, GGGI worked closely with the governments of Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh (HP), and Punjab to develop comprehensive green growth strategies together with each. GGGI also supported each of the three state governments in adopting integrated analytical approaches to assess green growth challenges and prioritize opportunities across key sectors, including energy, water, agriculture, and forestry. Building on these strategies, in 2015, GGGI supported the state governments in implementing specific green growth opportunities by formulating detailed project proposals, policy implementation roadmaps, and capacity building initiatives.
Going forward, GGGI intends to build and scale up our programmatic activities to launch green growth interventions at the national level in India. GGGI’s aim is to assist the government in delivering on its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) ambition. GGGI work will have the following broad
- Support the development of policy frameworks
- Mobilize domestic and international climate finance
- Support the introduction (or adoption) of clean technologies
- Create and share green growth knowledge and best practices
With the recognition that NDC implementation should be guided by national sustainable development priorities, GGGI will work with key ministries to support financing and implementation of India’s NDCs in key sectors. To begin with, GGGI’s work will focus on the two important themes of energy access and industrial energy efficiency.
As a vibrant emerging economy, India is also well positioned to share its experience on sustainable development, particularly related to its journey in increasing the share of renewable energy in the overall energy mix. GGGI will work closely with the government to share India’s success stories, expertise, and technological know how with other developing countries facing similar developmental challenges.
Watch GGGI India’s Country Representative Siddarthan Balasubramania speak about GGGI’s work in India.