To develop environments that enable markets to work for green growth, GGGI’s Investment and Policy Solutions Division (IPSD) is charged with producing cutting edge, policy relevant knowledge products and services. IPSD backstops the GGP&I Division’s work by providing technical and specialist knowhow for in-country programs and global services that contribute to the broader global dialogue on green growth. IPSD products and services take the form of innovative green growth related research products and knowledge sharing networks designed to effectively disseminate best practices and lessons learned from in-country programs.
IPSD operates through two closely integrated workstreams – Policy Solutions and Green Investment Advisory Services – that underpin the relevance, efficiency, and effectiveness of GGGI’s in-country delivery. These workstreams provide a robust feedback loop between knowledge and investment services and global green growth products and services.
GGGI’s Policy Solutions (PS) Department provides the technical analysis and socio-economic assessment for GGGI in-country programs to plan and implement transformative change towards green growth. Through the development of country diagnostics, the application of best practices, usable tools, case studies, policy briefs, and knowledge sharing platforms and by leveraging national, regional, and inter-regional networks, PS performs a crucial role in green growth planning processes.
PS provides a feedback cycle between in-country experience and knowledge offerings by capturing lessons from the field back into global knowledge products and networks. Furthermore, it provides integrated capacity development programs to develop and strengthen capacity of relevant stakeholders and enrich the global green growth dialogue.
Policy Solutions has four components:
- Knowledge Development and Sharing (KDS)
- In-country Support (CS)
- Knowledge Management (KM)
- Capacity Development (CD)
Green Investment Services
Working closely with the private sector and governments, our Green Investment Services (GIS) support countries with developing green investment opportunities that build on the recommendations that come from our green growth plans. To do this, we help create an attractive environment for green investments by, among other things, building local capacity to design projects, helping develop transparent procurement processes, and helping to ensure rewards are commensurate with risks.
GGGI deploys teams to partner countries to assist with designing sustainable incentive frameworks and fiscal tools that are aligned with green growth objectives (e.g. tax incentives and credits). We also help to ensure tax neutrality towards different financing forms and structures to make countries more attractive to investors.
GIS services support governments in developing bankable green growth projects by providing:
- Technical assistance to develop stable and consistent policy (i.e. fiscal, tax) that is a pre-requisite for green investment;
- Project preparation support to design commercially and technologically viable plans by applying international norms and standards for infrastructure project design;
- Advice on mitigating non-project related risks by enhancing access to domestic/global climate and infrastructure finance facilities and mechanisms, as well as objective and robust data on investment potentials.
- Support for the establishment of domestic securitization structures that can facilitate the scaling up of green investments;
- Guidance on establishing one-stop institutions to efficiently deploy all green growth related incentives and de-risking instruments for the private sector
- Guidelines for transparent procurement, tendering, and approval procedures across ministries